Hoven Elementary School
All Children Can Succeed!
Animal Track Plaster Instructions:
You will need:
¼ cup water (in a water bottle or other container that can be closed)
baggie of plaster
Something to clean hands with
1. Find a track (or two) that is deep enough to make a nice cast. Shallow tracks do not work well.
2. When you find a good track, place the collar around it. Push loose dirt or mud around the outside of the collar to help prevent leakage.
3. Pour ¼ cup water into baggie and mix. Mixture should have the consistency of applesauce. The plaster begins to dry immediately, so be quick about pouring your casts.
4. Pour the plaster into the collar. You should be able to make 2 small casts with the plaster.
5. The plaster takes about 20 minutes to become dry enough to move. It can be left to harden over night. Once it is dry to the touch, pick the cast up by the collar.
6. DO NOT try to knock mud and debris off or to remove the collar until you have let it dry over night.
7. Be very careful when removing mud and debris. It can be placed under running water at this point. Use the paintbrush provided to dust off any particles.
HAVE FUN! Animal tracks are a fun way to explore our surroundings and to learn a little bit about animals in their environments.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!